Thursday, February 17, 2005

It's oh so quiet...

It has been a really quiet week. No meetings. No dates. And no phone calls from my parents. (They are on a cruise. Where else?) I commented on this to a colleague. Not that they were on a cruise. That it had been really quiet because I’d not spoken to them all week. She asked me why not speaking to my parents should stand out. “Because I speak to them once a day. Or, at the very least, once every two days”.

She was horrified by this. Turns out, most people do not call, or receive a call from, their parents as often as this. A straw poll of the people in my office revealed an average number of calls to/from one's parents (after the age of 18) is one a month. Once a month?? If I don't call my parents for three days in a row they think I've fallen out. Or married out.

Once, not long after I left home, they phoned me on a Tuesday afternoon but I erased the message by mistake. I went out that evening and came in too late to check the answer machine. By Wednesday morning (less than 24 hours after the initial phone call) they had called the son of a cousin of a colleague of my Dad (who happened to live nearby) to come round to the house to check that I was okay. I was fine. Just very very embarrassed. I mentioned this to my colleague - I thought it might serve as some kind of explanation. But she merely asked me how on earth my parents knew that the son of a cousin of a colleague lived nearby. Needless to say, my colleague is not Jewish.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Baldricka said...

Great Blog, I'm really enjoying it! Keep going!
(Yes you do know who I am. I was at Uni with you and am friends with your sister!)

3:46 am  
Blogger R.x said...

Hello - I know you!! Delighted you're enjoying the blog. Tell all your friends...

9:13 am  
Blogger timecharger said...

lovely r....

AC

4:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home