Monday, February 21, 2005

Taking stock

I have been trying to gauge opinion among my friends regarding the blog. This is a potentially dangerous thing to do. If you ask for an honest opinion you have to be open to the possibility of an honest response. And it might not be the answer you were expecting.

So I asked L for his thoughts on the blog. “Be honest” I said, gritting my teeth and biting my lip. L asked me why I was pulling stupid faces. So I un-gritted my teeth and stopped biting my lip.

“I like it” says L. “But you might be limiting your audience a bit by focusing on the whole Jewish thing too much”. In other words, L reckons it’s ‘too Jewish’. I am genuinely shocked by this. But a quick re-read of recent posts bears out that L is absolutely right. Turns out, it doesn’t matter how many McDonald Burgers I eat or shopping trips I make on Saturday afternoon, I’m still a lot more Jewish than I realised. My parents would be delighted. Well, the burgers and Saturday shopping notwithstanding.

So, in a bid to make the blog more multi-cultural I decided over the weekend to make a list of major news items and comment on those instead. Steer clear of anything overtly Jewish. Saturday morning – the leading article in the Times covers the rise in anti-Semitism in the UK. Sunday morning – opening debate on Broadcasting House (Radio 4 – what else?) is on Ken Livingstone’s “war criminal” comments. This morning, Today programme discusses whether or not Michael Howard’s father was an illegal immigrant when he came to the UK. His immigration was sponsored by a London synagogue.

What’s a Jewish girl to do? Everybody’s talking about it...

3 Comments:

Blogger timecharger said...

very clever r. sorry I'm not saying much more, but really very cute. best one I've read today is the parental/calling one

4:23 pm  
Blogger R.x said...

cheers - appreciate it
haven't heard the timecharger moniker for ages

7:39 pm  
Blogger timecharger said...

*enters phone box*

*hastily dons timecharger outfit (lawyer's suit and tie)*

*exits phone box*

*questions life choices*

12:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home