Thursday, May 26, 2005

We are the Champions!

Nothing is going to get me down today. The sun is shining, the sky is blue and Liverpool are European Champions. I watched the match with Scrappino. He isn't exactly football mad. At one point, AC Milan had a throw in and Scrappino shouted "HAND BALL". He must have heard it from his friends. But despite it being a case of the blind leading the blind, we enjoyed watching it together. Scrappino was happy to be given an excuse for a late night. And I must have been having a good time because I missed Desperate Housewives. And it's the final episode next week - double bill - so hopefully some kind soul will fill me in on what happened before next wednesday.

Luckily, I have a group of friends who watch it religiously. Until recently I went to a discussion group on a Wednesday evening. It was a "By Women For Women" thing. I stopped going because I've decided to limit my nights out to events where I am in with a reasonable chance of meeting a bloke. So the Feminist love-in had to go. But it did make me smile that every week, without fail, these women would passionately discuss the leading feminist issues of the day, arguing about female empowerment and our identities as independent women. Then, at quarter to ten on the dot, they would get up and leave so that they'd be home in time for Desperate Housewives.

The powers that be were obviously doing their best to test my good mood. It took me two hours to get to work today. The Jubilee, Metropolitan and Northern lines were all down. The replacement buses were sent to the wrong station. And the overland train was running a Saturday service. So, I waited 25 minutes for my train. Then sat on a tube going nowhere for twenty minutes. Then stood for half an hour in a queue for a bus that never came. The pavement was more packed than the stadium last night in Turkey. In the end I gave up and got back on the first train to try another route. But despite the coming and going, pushing and shoving, I'm still smiling. I felt like shouting out, "Let me through. I'm a scouser". I bet they would have done.

When I finally got on the train I called work to let my boss know that I was going to be late. He's an Arsenal fan and begrudgingly wished me Congratulations. I tried to assure him that I really was stuck in traffic. "I know it looks suspicious. Being a scouser - you probably think I'm hungover. But I really am on my way". After I ended the call the (very nice looking) chap next to me leaned over and asked "Are you from Liverpool?". I told him I was. He put out his hand to shake mine. "I am from Milan" he said, and smiled.

We are the Champions, my friends.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a scouser and i read your blog and have to agree, i'm elated, not sure about all that feminist stuff but i've been walking on cloud nine all day infact i may give the hubby a treat 2nite, its amazing i don't give 2 hoots about footie but i can see the attraction.

Pauline Urlegg

3:44 pm  
Anonymous P in the USA said...

Oh, to be in London now the tube is B#$%&*d. Trying desperately not to gloat - and failing.

1:40 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh stop being so bloody elated already (though obviously not Pauline while hubby is still getting ha'na'ah). OK I admit I'm a green-eyed gloater-wannabee, but I can't find anyone who cares that Southend United beat Lincoln City in the play-offs to clinch the final promotion spot from the old division 4. Go you Shrimpers!

12:45 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didnit know Southend had a footie team, thats Essex girl territory not sure i wanna go there, although hubby bought me a lovely pair of white stillettos coupla yrs back. Go on you "Shrimpers" is that the knew Prawn Cocktail down there, how Essexy!!

Pauline Urlegg

2:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home