Friday, September 02, 2005

A fond farewell to my Grandpa

Thank you to everyone who called, emailed and wrote to me over the past couple of days. Your very kind thoughts are much appreciated.

When I started this blog I hadn't intended to include so much personal information. I'd wanted to keep a discreet distance, not letting on my name, whereabouts or personal comings and goings. But it's taken on a life of its own and I've found myself disclosing more personal thoughts than I had anticipated.

So, I'll beg your indulgence one more time. My wonderful Grandpa passed away on Wednesday. I had the amazing good fortune to spend much of last week with him in Bournemouth and we had a fabulous time. The sun shone and Grandpa, in spite of his 90 years, was in wonderful health, as he'd always been. We played crazy golf, sat on the beach, treated ourselves to a traditional Dorset cream tea, and took lots of photos. My brothers and sisters were there too, with their children, and he was so thrilled to spend time with his grandchildren and great-grandchildren. And it's such a comfort to us to have such happy - and recent - memories to hold on to.

On Tuesday he called and told me that he'd played a round of golf that morning and was just about to go out and play bridge. And on Wednesday morning, he passed away peacefully, at home, and with dignity, healthy and vital to the very last. What a blessing to live so well, so long, and so happily.

It's tempting to wax lyrical about him now. But since we only ever speak well of the dead I'm reluctant to go overboard, for fear of readers assuming that my thoughts are the usual platitudes that are offered after a death. What really matters is how we are regarded in life. So, for the real affection and love that I had for Grandpa - read my entry for March 7th 2005. That's how I'll remember a much loved, and greatly missed, Grandpa M.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a nice blog, ...better than mine.!!..lol... perhaps you may like my Adware Remover related site..if your'e into Adware Remover that is.

7:00 pm  
Anonymous Baldricka said...

I was really sorry to hear about your Grandpa. He was a lovely, lovely man. It was great that you spent the previous week with him.

6:09 pm  
Blogger MC Aryeh said...

I have been hearing lovely things about your grandfather for years from H&Y. Would like to have met him. Baruch Dayan Emet. Sorry for your loss.

6:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home