Thursday, September 15, 2005

No present like the time

Oh, I do love a good pun. "No present like the time". Geddit? In case I'm not being clear enough, my five-year service award arrived today. You may remember (see post for August 3rd, '05) that I recently had to choose an 'award' in recognition of completing a half-decade of loyal service at work. Amid the competition for my affections were wooden carriage clocks, cheap ball-point pens, bird-watching binoculors and china figurines of Georgian urchins (the kind that your mum has on her mantlepiece). I chose the silver (plated) ladies watch and it arrived this morning, complete with 'Congratualtions' (sic) sticker on the tin and the company logo etched onto the side. My boss gave it to me this morning while he was handing out the FedEx boxes and the overnight faxes.

I hope I'm not sounding ungrateful. It really was a very nice gesture on the part of my employers and the watch is actually lovely. And I also know that the trick to successful living and a happy heart is to find the positive in any given situation and avoid the lure of the 'if only's and the 'what if's. But I must just say that whenever I have day-dreamed and imagined someone giving me a present of a silver watch and saying 'Happy 5th Anniversary', this wasn't quite what I had in mind.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rely Wisper said...

Its nice to be appreciated. Even though its not quite the anniversary present you were after.

5:48 pm  
Blogger MC Aryeh said...

can you post a picture of said watch?

1:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home