Thursday, November 10, 2005

onwards and upwards

My apologies for another week (well, almost) without blogging. There are a few reasons for this.

i.) I returned from my week away in Athens to be greeted by a Kilimanjaro sized mountain of emails at work. This morning I finally got the tally down from 187 to 13. 10 of which have been sitting in my inbox since early September. If I ignore them for just a week longer they’ll be out of date and I’ll not have to action them. (Don’t you hate it when office jargon takes a noun, such as ‘action’ and turns it into a verb? I used to get all Lynn Truss about things like that. But if you can’t beat them, as they say…)

ii.) I came home from the Mediterranean warmth to a near-freezing London and had to make an emergency dash to Brent Cross for some winter knitwear. I took Scrappino with me. He stepped into Next with me and we were there for less time than it takes to get from here to ………………………………………here before he got bored and started asking “can we go now?” I did manage to stock up on a couple of basics with a promise that if he just let me get on with it I’d take him to Borders afterwards to buy a Doctor Who book (yes, ANOTHER one). I had my sweet revenge because we’d been in the bookshop for less than five seconds before I started whining “can we go now?”. But we both left the shopping centre with plastic bags full of goodies so nobody was complaining.

iii.) I gave my first ever, live, stand-up performance as a compere/comedienne in front of a paying audience. My god, that sentence sounds good. In fact, I’m so proud of it, I’m going to say it again. I gave my first ever, live, stand-up performance as a compere/comedienne in front of a paying audience. To put things in perspective, I compered the Limmud Live event on Sunday evening. There were only about 250 people in the audience, and, this being Limmud, the audience was hardly likely to heckle or indeed respond with anything less than thunderous applause and 100% support. But Rome wasn’t built in a day. And we all have to start somewhere. And, since this is something I’ve wanted to do since forever, I was delighted to have the chance.

If you’ve been reading this blog for some time, you’ll have recognised much, if not all, of the content of my ‘set’ (a rather grandiose term for what was really just two five-minute slots in between the ‘real’ acts). But I was a bag of nerves before I went on stage and since I managed to do the whole thing without alcohol and without making any mistakes, I was pretty damn pleased with the whole thing. It’s not the Paladium. Or even the Comedy Store. But a fee paying crowd is a fee paying crowd. And I’m mighty pleased to be able to say, in the spirit of comedy’s rule of three, that I gave my first ever, live, stand-up performance as a compere/comedienne in front of a paying audience.

And you can tell your children, in years to come, that you heard me first, at Suburbanhymns.

9 Comments:

Blogger bangedmyhead said...

"Hear Hear"

still making me laugh!!!

8:26 pm  
Blogger MC Aryeh said...

Wonderful! If you were that successful without alcohol, just imagine what you could do with....here's to many more successful stand-up experiences! When is the tour of America?

(I had already planned to tell my children I read SuburbanHymns way back when, but would love even better to be able to tell them I saw SuburbanHymns live on her first ever tour of America).


Who is Lynn Truss?

10:56 am  
Blogger R.x said...

Thanks MC
If I do make it to the States you'll be the first to know. I hear you offer an airport arrivals service with sandwiches...

Lynn Truss is a journalist who wrote a best-selling book called "Eats shoots and leaves" about English grammar, how it's abused etc and how irritated she gets by poor English. It's very funny - definitely one to look out for.

Bangedmyhead - Hear Hear! (you get me all confused...)

11:04 am  
Anonymous G of 143 said...

I'm pleased to say that as 1/125th of your paying audience (and hopefully your biggest fans in your new career), D and myself would like to reassure you - and your blog readership - that your 10 minutes were the undisputed highlight of the evening.

We were glad to have been there with you, and wouldn't have missed it for anything.

(D and) G of No. 143.

2:20 am  
Blogger MC Aryeh said...

Would gladly meet you at airport arrivals with sandwiches.....Had heard of "Eats Shoots and Leaves" but not its author - had been meaning to get hold of it. Thanks for the reminder...

8:03 am  
Blogger R.x said...

MC - definitely read 'eat shoots etc' if you can. Although be warned - it can turn you into an irate pedant for months.

g of 143 - welcome aboard. Glad you enjoyed it. I think I heard you laughing from the stage....

12:58 pm  
Blogger baldricka said...

When you come here on your world tour I will be able to tell people I knew you even before you were suburbanhymns! Seriously, I'm glad it went well!

7:35 pm  
Blogger LG said...

fabulous -- another great jewish woman gone comedy pro. v happy for you. 2 times 5 mins slot is NO mean feat. nothing like making people laugh and realizing you're good enough to be paid.
mazel tov!

2:52 am  
Blogger R.x said...

Baldricka - i might have to pay you to keep quiet about what you know from the pre-suburbanhymns days....

LG - it was the longest 10 minutes of my life - but well worth it. thanks for your comment - it really means a lot coming from you. if i need any tips i know where to go...

9:52 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home