Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Cast your vote!

I have been shamelessly canvassing for votes all day. Via telephone, in person and by email. And now I'm going to blog for them as well. I have been nominated in three categories in the Jewish and Israeli Blog Awards. You can cast your vote for me by choosing suburbanhymns in the dropdown menu in the Best Jewish Humor Category, the Best Personal Blog Category and the Best New Blog 2005 Category. Vote from as many computers as you have access to - and feel free to send to as many of your friends as you can. I have no hope of winning. Firstly, the competition is hosted by the Jerusalem Post and, surprise surprise, Jerusalem Post sponsored blogs are racing ahead in the votes. Secondly, while my blog is (at the time of posting) coming up to 10,000 hits, I am competing with blogs which have an average visitor rate of 1,000 hits a day. So it's an uphill struggle to say the least. That said, it is fabulous to have been nominated (thanks mc…) and who knows where it might lead?? So cast your vote and make blog history….

Meanwhile, we are now 11 days into the new year, so here's my resolution update. Results so far:

1. Give up smoking. I am still 100% nicotene free. It is bloody difficult - I've had three sleepless nights when a crafty fag would have been very welcome. But willpower and Radio 4 sent me back to sleep smoke-free.

2. Watch less TV. An hour a day of TV is a little tricky. I'm probably still averaging more than that. But since most of it is Dr Who videos courtesy of Scrappino I'm inclined not to judge myself too harshly.

3. Lose half a stone. No weight loss whatsoever. Bugger. Though I'm told that losing weight while giving up smoking is scientifically impossible. Must remember to ask Robert Winston if that's true at the next Limmud. I'm sure he'll appreciate that.

4. Entertain more. Does making pasta and cheese for Scrappino and his friends count? If so, I'm on my way. If not, nope. I've still not dared to don the oven gloves and actually cook a meal from scratch for any guests over the age of 8. I told you I'd find this one difficult. Although I did order a smashing take away for my good friend L last night. Does that count?

5. Find love. Rather regretting making this resolution public. Let's just say, there have been developments. That's as large a bone as I'm willing to throw at this point.

Don't forget to cast your vote. I'll be kissing babies at a shopping centre near you soon....

8 Comments:

Blogger MC Aryeh said...

You are such an anarchist! I love it! I personally have washed my hands of the JIBS as far as my own blog is concerned, but seeing Suburban Hymns trump the bigger blogs and garner exposure is a cause I can certainly rally behind (I am still hoping for a U.S. tour)!

Congrats on the no-smoking, and 8 year olds are people too, so macaroni and cheese for sure counts as entertaining. I think you can discount Dr. Who - first off, it's a video, and as you are watching it mainly for Christopher Eccleston, it's not as if you are watching TV for its own sake.

3:54 pm  
Blogger bangedmyhead said...

#5 that is a 'big' bone you're throwing!!!

looking forward to the 'apple pie', see ya

5:34 pm  
Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

RX Your blog counter seems to be rising nicely! I don't think you have a problem with hits...

Youve got my vote!

11:02 am  
Anonymous Michelle Berkley said...

you are simply one of the funniest and most fabulous people I have ever met (maybe I don't get out enough in Paris!)...and thanks for the lift to the bus station in Nottingham (this woman gave up a Limmud conference for me).

11:46 am  
Blogger R.x said...

MC - you are right, of course, about the awards. but it's a little exciting to have the exposure if nothing else. oh, that US tour. from your mouth to god's ears, as they used to say...

bangedmyhead - 3 days to go til operation apple pie - SO excited...

Jameel - thank you - you are too kind...by the way, i heard that you were supposed to be blog-free this week. does posting comments on other peoples' blogs not count??

Michelle - bless your heart. it was fabulous to meet you. anytime you need a lift to the Nottingham bus station, just ask...

12:25 pm  
Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

RX: PLEASE don't tell my friends at BLOGGERS ANONYMOUS.

A few comments don't count...right?

10:43 pm  
Blogger tafka PP said...

I voted for you. McAryeh nominated me too, in "Best of the Rest." I'm still amused!

10:04 am  
Blogger Rebecca said...

you see, I'm silly. I posted for votes too but two weeks before my category opened up. I feel funny posting again though so hopefully ppl will be checking back.

10:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home