Thursday, January 19, 2006

A few words of thanks...

Today's is a very personal posting. And, for that reason, I've had to ensure that it's fairly cryptic too. In fact, all things considered, it's actually rather pointless, because the people who know me personally and who therefore know what I'm referring to, have already been told this news (via the tens of emails and text messages that I sent out yesterday) and so they don't need to be told again via the blog. Meanwhile, the casual passers-by and blog-pals will have no clue what I'm talking about and, since I'm keeping the news as vague as I can, they will not be able to work it out from this post. So, those who already know don't need to read this and those who don't know will be none the wiser for doing so.

That said, I can't let the day go by without blogging about this. I started this blog just over a year ago and have (surprisingly, considering how easily I give things up when the novelty wears off) managed to maintain a fairly regular diary for the past 12 months. I have blogged about good times and bad dates; made you laugh and made myself cry; taken you all on a journey through Scrappino's obsession with Dr Who and the longest bathroom installation in living memory. And, though I say so myself, it's been a lot of fun.

But throughout it all, in the background, there has been a silent drama playing out. I've never blogged about it. I've not even referred to it in passing. The only impact it has had on the blog is that, on occasion, the situation has left me feeling so low and deflated that I've not really felt like blogging at all. Remember those times when I went for a week without posting, and then had to begin the next post with yet another apology for my absence? That was down to this situation. Sometimes, you're just too low to be funny.

But now, finally, after eighteen months of worry, stress, tears and not a little anger, I can finally reveal that it's all over. You can't begin to imagine how happy I'm feeling right now. And how relieved. For legal reasons I'm not going to divulge details here. But, suffice to say, a very wise judge made a great decision yesterday. A great decision for me. And, more importantly, a great decision for Scrappino.

Personally, I feel vindicated for making a stand on Scrappino's behalf, proud of myself for seeing it through to the bitter (or, as it turned out, not so bitter) end and amazed that I managed to carry on living a semblance of normality with all this going on in the background. I'm incredibly proud of Scrappino too. He's continued to thrive, to achieve at school and has remained cheerful and positive throughout. Not a small feat when you're only eight years old. And I'm unbelievably grateful for all the support I've received from my family and friends. You have been nothing short of wonderful. I've cried on your shoulders, phoned you at all hours for help and advice, and no doubt bored you witless with the 'he said - she said' minutiae of every twist and turn. I would not have been able to get through this without you. And I thank you all.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Plony said...

Missed the light relief that you have provided to my working day over the last week - good to have you virtually back and even happier for the reason!
Well done - you deserve to be proud of yourself. You have handled the situation, yourself and Scrappino brilliantly!

3:08 pm  
Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

R.X: I'm very very happy for you, and wish you and Scrappino all the best - you deserve it.

And...you made me cry all over my keyboard with that beautiful post on my blog. I can't even begin to think of how to contemplate it.

Thank you - that was the one of the nicest gifts a person could receive.

11:10 pm  
Blogger MC Aryeh said...

R.X. - Your relief is palpable. Glad this episode in your life is now past. May it be the beginning of only wonderful things for you and Scrappino....

12:07 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home