Friday, January 06, 2006

A meme from me-me to you-you

I have been "tagged with a meme". I know. Complete gibberish. (Why can't bloggers use the Queen's English for god's sake?) Anyway, for those as uninitiated as I am, let me explain. A meme is like a game of verbal tag. Someone (who?) has an idea for a blog post - for example "my ten favourite officially-recognised phobias" - and then 'tags' a random selection of bloggers who then each have to write a post on the same theme. I'm not sure exactly how this encourages diversity of content and originality of ideas, but we'll park that reservation for the moment. For the time being, the meme (nope, no idea where that word comes from. Any ideas? I first thought it was short hand for Me!Me! - frankly, ideal for this self-obsessed blog - but that's not it), anyway, the meme is Four.

Now, obviously, my favourite Four is The Fab Four. But apparently I don't get off the hook that easily. Nor, it seems, can I get away with making crass gags like 'my favourite four is fourplay' since the joke doesn't really work when it's written down and is pretty ropey when read out loud. So, I'm going to have to do this properly.

The idea of this meme is to provide four answers to a list of questions. I've had no say in devising the questions - but I'd hazard a guess that whoever did has once worked on a teenage pop magazine. These are the kind of questions that Duran Duran et al used to get asked by the staff of Smash Hits. ("So, you're top of the charts, your latest single went platinum and you've just released your seventh album. What's your favourite colour?") Anyway, provisos and reservations notwithstanding, here's my list of fours….

Four jobs I've had
Researcher
Editor
Mother
(That's only three and one is un-paid. Disgraceful.)

Four films I've walked out of
Hand that rocks the cradle
(That's it - well, once you've paid…)

Four films I could watch over and over again
84 Charing Cross Road
Moulin Rouge
Dangerous Liaisons
Big Lebowski

Four places I've lived
Liverpool
Jerusalem
Cambridge
London

Four TV shows I love
Dr Who (The Eccleston Years)
Phoenix Nights
Angels in America (does that count?)
Cold Feet

Four most recent holiday destinations
Athens
Rome
Texas
Barcelona
(Not the planet Barcelona, the city Barcelona….)

Four websites I visit daily
BBC
Ebay (my name is suburbanhymns and I am an ebay addict…)
Amazon (I should just set up a direct debit and have my wages sent straight to Amazon)
The Clock's Loneliness (it's a poetry thing…)

Four books that I absolutely love
Middlemarch (desert island choice)
Brideshead Revisited (love, hope, despair)
Pride and Prejudice (because every time is like the first time)
The Great Gatsby (jazz, intrigue and rorbert redford)

Four books that I will never ever read again
Jude the Obscure (unremittingly despressing)
Great Expectations (I don't care if it's Dickens - it's shite)
The Information (I physically flung this across the room when I'd finished - and vowed never to read Amis again)
Anything with 'self-help' or 'how to' in the title

Four of my favourite foods
Grilled haloumi cheese
Roast chicken
Hot pecan pie
Pink Lady apples
(but not all together. that would be disgusting)

Four of my favourite songs
Your mother and I - Loudon Wainwright III
Shine - David Gray
Volcano - Damien Rice
Watching the Wheels - John Lennon
(These change daily - so ask me again some time…)

This meme was tagged from A Whispering Soul and Jameel Rashid. I'm supposed to pay it forward to four new bloggers. But I don't really know any who've not already been tagged. So I'm afraid the chain stops here. If this was a pyramid scam, I'd be out of pocket round about now….

17 Comments:

Blogger MC Aryeh said...

Wonder what Duran Duran would have answered....thanks for doing the meme
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme). I love that you threw in The Big Lebowski and Damien Rice among your choices, And in a show of solidarity, I pledge also never to read Jude The Obscure, Great Expectations and The Information again...

What is haloumi (aside from a type of cheese, I mean)?

1:51 pm  
Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

RX: I concur with MCA; thanks for doing the MEME. Excellent bonus categories that weren't in the original MEME (and flinging books across the room...)

Reminds me of when I found a video tape of "Snow White" in our backyard all covered in mud. I asked my kids if they knew how it got there. My youngest (at the time) said it was him -- he was scared of the witch, so he threw the videotape out the window. This was the same child that fed cookies to the VCR, since he thought it was hungry (and that's why the VCR stopped working).

I had wondered if you would mention living in that odd place for 5 months so many years ago. Guess the trauma has subsided ;-)

11:39 am  
Blogger Datingmaster, Jerusalem said...

your life is about stability and family i could learn a lot from you

1:55 pm  
Blogger R.x said...

mc - are you a fan of damien rice too? i always suspected you were a gentleman of impeccable taste...the big lebowski makes me cry with laughter every time. i'd risk citing quotes right here - but that would be ridiculous

Jameel - i love the idea of kids feeding vcr players with what you call cookies - i suppose you mean biscuits - i was tempted to cite gw as a previous place of residence - but it was more than just a place - it was a way of life...

datingmaster - i have been called many things before now - but never stable - believe me, when you look to me as your paradigm of stability, you've got real problems...

2:08 pm  
Blogger timecharger said...

sorry to be boring, but a meme (pronounced meem) is I think something to do with genetics and dna - it's a code within a gene that makes the gene replicate the meme - i.e. a thing that triggers another entity to replicate that thing (viruses do this too)

clever name, then

xa

2:27 pm  
Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

R.X.: See? Even my English is going...I knew the word was biscuits. Oh Well.

Do you remember the 1/2 birthday party thrown for me at GW? You may have forgotten, but I remember it to this day.

9:09 pm  
Blogger R.x said...

timecharger - don't apologise for being boring. that's what we love about you

Jameel - of course i remember your birthday party. we threw a spoof 'this is your life' didn't we? and it was to compensate for your 10th birthday party that clashed with the superbowl or something? am i right?

10:02 am  
Blogger tafka PP said...

Ooh so much in common. (Well, 2 out of 4 places lived. And I walked out of the Hand That Rocks The Cradle. Horrible film)

I am sure you are right re the motivations behind these things. NB I remember my Smash Hits 1989 Yearbook when all the "stars" were asked "Do you own any Queen records" - 6 people! had not heard of them. Disgrace.

4:11 pm  
Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

RX: You rock! I should post that story at some point...what a laugh.

Thanks!

10:49 am  
Blogger R.x said...

parrot - now i have to work out which of the four places we have in common...how can anyone not have heard of Queen in 1989 - that was AFTER Live Aid. the mind boggles

Jameel - you say the nicest things. i look forward to reading your take on that story...

12:05 pm  
Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Parrot: That's pretty sad that you never heard of Queen. Even I've heard of them - and I'm a total dork at music.

12:33 pm  
Blogger R.x said...

Just to illustrate how much of a dork Jameel is at music - he once lent me a tape of Simon and Garfunkel favourites - in Hebrew!
there's just no excuse for that...

1:00 pm  
Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

r.x: see how you date yourself! What the heck is tape these days anyway? My kids only know from CDs and MP3s.

I woulnd't know about that tape...its been eons since I heard it ;-)

3:02 pm  
Blogger MC Aryeh said...

Simon & Garfunkle in Hebrew?! No, no excuse for that at all...

3:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And one book you should read..

Slaughterhouse 55

Go on, it's eeeny weeny short and it's begging you.

10:49 pm  
Blogger R.x said...

Jameel - I know what you mean. Scrappino recently saw a dial telephone and tried to press the numbers like buttons - he had no clue how to turn the dial - how old did i feel!!

MC - you said it - simply inexcusable

Anon - mmm funnily enough, someone recently (a year ago?) lent me Slaughterhouse 55 and I never got round to reading it. I'm wondering, that person might well be you...

12:20 pm  
Blogger tafka PP said...

Jameel! Where do you get I'd never heard of Queen??? Have you seen my blog lately, or its title?!


RX- the 1st two.

10:02 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home