Wednesday, July 05, 2006

...I just couldn't stay away...

As Elton John once sang, the bitch is back. (He also sang Candle in the Wind, but that’s not really the point).

You will no doubt have noticed that there has been a rather lengthy hiatus here at suburban hymns. I apologise to all (both?) readers who have checked in on a regular basis only to find that I’ve not updated since April 8th. If it’s any consolation, I do feel very guilty about this and I feel I should explain.

Firstly, I blame You Know Who. It’s a case of being careful what you wish for. I wittered on for a whole year about my dating fiascos, meeting rubbish blokes and bemoaning my lot as a singleton. And then unexpectedly, out of nowhere (well, not exactly nowhere, out of North London) this rather lovely chap appeared and buggered up my entire shtick. So I found myself happy and settled with nothing much to moan about and the whole slant of this blog was suddenly out of kilter. Bloody men. You just can’t blog with ‘em. (Though, in case you’re wondering, it’s all going rather well. I will change a habit of a life time and leave the personal information at that).

Secondly, I have been writing elsewhere. Not on-line, but in private. A first for me. I am normally one to scatter my creativity with abandon, showering anyone who’ll listen with my latest offerings. But I’ve taken a rather large writing project on that I’m trying to keep under wraps until it’s finished. So the blog had to take a back seat while I concentrated on that. For a while at least.

Thirdly, there’s the World Cup. I’ve been totally hooked. If you’d told me six months ago that I would watch every game in the entire competition I’d have laughed in your face. But that was before I factored in YKW being a football fanatic and Scrappino catching the footie bug from his friends. The result has been a soccer-fest of ridiculous proportions. There are three wall charts in my flat which Scrappino has lovingly filled in, listing every game, the teams, the scores, even the penalty shoot-out results. I even considered joining in the jingoistic fervour of the nation by investing in a St George Cross flag for my car. But I drive a Skoda and I was worried that the weight might tip the balance and topple the car over. (You can tell it’s been a while – I’m making Skoda gags).

It goes without saying that I’ve been supporting the English team (much good it did them). But I’ve taken an interest in the other matches too. Only, like most Jewish viewers, every match had to be viewed from the perspective of how each of the countries has treated the Jews. This is not as easy at it sounds. Obviously, we all cheered when Germany lost. But some of the fixtures posed very difficult dilemmas. Ukraine versus Iran was a tricky one. Talk about a rock and a hard place. I mean, who do we want to lose more?? Or Saudi Arabia versus Croatia? The commentators were no help. Filling the half time discussion with their views on goal defence strategies without a single mention of the Arab boycott or the massacre of 1942. How is a girl to know who to support??

Meanwhile, the sporting bug reached Scrappino’s school just in time for the annual Sports Day. Scrappino came home today with two stickers on his t-shirt – both with a rosette and “2nd” printed on them. He’d come second in two races. One was the running race. I congratulated him on his success but he admitted that he’d not been in a very difficult line-up. Just him, Sam and five girls. “So Sam won then?” I asked. “No, Natasha did” he replied. The other was the sack race. I resisted the urge to praise him for being so good in the sack. “I’ll keep that one for the blog”, I thought.

And so I did.

It’s good to be back.

6 Comments:

Blogger tafka PP said...

Good to have you back!

Glad to hear all goes well- check my blog if you still need clarity re who to support...

9:10 am  
Blogger Karl said...

Nice to see you writting again!

7:23 pm  
Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Welcome back! See - you already have 3 unique comments in less than 24 hours :)

(Even if the World Cup is totally pathetic and a waste of energy...but I won't go there....now)

8:51 pm  
Blogger bangedmyhead said...

welcome back!!

Glad to see you are bloging again. i love your blogs - I even delay going to the zoo to read them!

great post (as ususal ) :-)

8:41 pm  
Blogger baldricka said...

I can't resist saying Hi from Oslo, an uninspiring city if ever I've been to one!! It makes me think of the centre of Birmingham on a grey Sunday afternoon( although I don't think I ever went there on a grey Sunday afternoon)!!!!

2:14 pm  
Blogger ONITSUKA TIGER said...

Made since the launch of his ASICS GEL-KINSEI 2 campaign by Japan in 2007, marks Onitsuku Tiger trainer has a series of ASICS GEL-Nimbus 9 shoe sculptures created, each of which Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66 different aspects of Japanese culture.True to its tradition, Tansu carpentry, sculpture contains a series of boxes and drawers made of wood Onitsuka Tiger Ultimate 81 carved.

10:23 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home