Wednesday, August 16, 2006

M.A.Z.A.L T.O.V

Well now, here it is. The post that I never thought I’d write. To be honest, this is the post that nobody thought I’d write. But, we of little faith have been proved wrong. Guess what?

I’m engaged!!

I know, I know. I sound girly and 16 and pathetic and I can almost hear Germaine Greer tutting as I type and relegating my name to the list of feminist has-beens. But, be that as it may, the fact remains, I am engaged.

Oh, in case you were wondering, I’m engaged to YKW.

We’ve been talking about marriage for a while and now that we’ve been seeing each other for 6 months we both felt it was the right thing to do. Let’s face it, I’ve run out of sad-single-female gags. And being a single mother is so last century. And for his part, YKW is nearly 40 and is starting to find that the female Jewish population of NW London is divided into two groups. The ones he’s already tried (largely unsuccessfully) to pull and the ones who are convinced he’s gay. (I suspect there may be a smaller subset of girls who fall into both categories, but we’ll gloss over that for now).

So, on Monday night, 6 months to the day after our first date, YKW proposed. (I know you want the details, so here they are.) As a bit of background, I should say that YKW and I have an in-joke about the game Boggle. (In case you’re not sure, it’s a staggeringly dull word game that uses a 4x4 grid and a set of cubes with different letters on each side. The idea of the game is to randomly shake the cubes and then try to make as many words as possible out of the letters displayed).

Now, the joke between us is that, whenever we find ourselves doing anything remotely dull or boring, I try to see the positive side by saying ‘at least we’re not playing Boggle’. I can’t think of anything I’d rather NOT do than play Boggle. The day my life is so sorted and so complete that it will be enhanced by making random anagrams out of a set of letter cubes I will be a very lucky girl indeed.

So, back to Monday. YKW came home from playing football (wherein lies a whole other post!) and tells me he’s got a present for me. To celebrate our 6-month anniversary. (Cue Germaine throwing up again.) And he hands me a shockingly wrapped present.

“Oooh, what is it?” I ask.

“It’s a present.”

“Can I shake it to see what it is?”

“NO!! Don’t shake it. Open it very carefully”

So I opened it and inside was…a set of Boggle. Not exactly what I’d been expecting.

“Open it” says YKW. “Just don’t shake it”

So I opened the lid and inside he’d spelled out WILL U MARRY ME in boggle letters and placed the ring (yes, he bought a ring too) in one of the squares.

I was a bit confused at first. Mainly because Boggle, as I’ve already explained, uses a four by four grid. So YKW had actually written
WILL
U
MARR
Y
ME
which looked like WILL U MARR ME (Although I suppose the other alternative would have been WILL U MARY ME which is not much better.)

Obviously I said yes. Actually, I thought I’d be a bit cheeky and so I spelled out YES with Boggle letters. I couldn’t resist being a bit clever-clever. But I was totally bowled over.

It was only later on that evening that I realised how much trouble YKW had gone to. He was working in Barking on Monday where they don’t exactly have a glut of Boggle sets. He tried ASDA, Woolworths, WHSmith and the pound shop to try to find a Boggle set. But nobody had one. Let’s face it, Barking is not exactly the anagram word-playing capital of the world. Not a great call for Boggle in Barking. Luckily, the chap at Hamleys was most helpful. In Knightsbridge they have lots of Boggle. They have the deluxe version, the standard version and the family version. (I later assured YKW that there was no need for a family version. Just yet.) So he hurtled half way across London to pick it up.

His trouble didn’t end there. He spelled out WILL U MARR Y ME in his office and discarded the unused cubes. But by the time he got home the cubes had all rattled out of place. He then spent the best part of an hour trying to find the exact (and possibly single) permutation of cubes to spell out WILL U MARR Y ME. By the end of the exercise, he was as anti-Boggle as I am. So there’s no fear that we’ll start playing the bloody thing. (But just to make sure, I glued down the letters so that they permanently spell out WILL U MARR Y ME. Part romantic souvenir. Part insurance against after dinner word games.)

9 Comments:

Blogger MC Aryeh said...

Woo-hoo!!! Yay!! I knew it was coming...and with H & Y there too! Wow! Amazing. Enjoy every moment. How can you not love a guy who proposes with Boggle? Hope we get a blog post with Scrappino's view of things....mazal tov to the entire mishpacha! Truly wonderful news....

5:16 pm  
Blogger Ezzie said...

Mazel Tov!!

6:54 am  
Blogger ~ Sarah ~ said...

ezzie linked to you so i just thought i'd pop by and say mazal tov!

:)

12:57 pm  
Blogger tafka PP said...

Woohoo!

I don't even know you, but Mazal Tov!!!

3:51 pm  
Blogger Irina Tsukerman said...

Mazal Tov! What a great story!

5:43 pm  
Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Hey RX and YKW - That's really great news, Mazal tov!

Heard the wonderful news from both TAFKAPP and Ezzie.

May you have lots and lots of happiness together.

Shavua tov!

Jameel and co.

8:53 pm  
Blogger LG said...

wow -- i havent even had a chance to read your post (dont worry i will) but just saw your august 17 post and frantically scrolled down

mazel tov. such wonderful news

its really great. happy happy happy

2:52 pm  
Blogger Karl said...

מזל טוב!
Great news.
Congratulations.

5:51 am  
Blogger ONITSUKA TIGER said...

Made since the launch of his ASICS GEL-KINSEI 2 campaign by Japan in 2007, marks Onitsuku Tiger trainer has a series of ASICS GEL-Nimbus 9 shoe sculptures created, each of which Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66 different aspects of Japanese culture.True to its tradition, Tansu carpentry, sculpture contains a series of boxes and drawers made of wood Onitsuka Tiger Ultimate 81 carved.

10:22 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home