Thursday, August 17, 2006

still quite excited...

Being engaged is a full time job. The phone has not stopped ringing since we announced our news. I think shares in vodafone and orange must have trebled in the last 24 hours on the back of the texts that have been flooding in from the four corners of the globe. YKW is still on cloud nine - unable to sleep, grinning like a chesire cat and looking like he's about to burst into tears at any moment (but in a good way). He's so excited that he wonders why he's never gotten engaged before. I reminded him that I have. Well, you've gotta laugh.

Reaction to the news has been very enlightening. My Dad cried. So did YKW's. And within a nanosecond of hearing the news, both sets of parents had phoned each other and arranged to meet for lunch. Without us.

So far, the funniest response has been from my mother. I told her the entire Boggle proposal story (see yesterday's post), making a special effort to highlight the romance of the moment. Her response? "Oh, we've played Boggle with Harvey and Sue".

Scrappino has known about the news for some time so he wasn't particularly surprised. In fact, I think he's probably wondering what all the fuss is about. But when I told him we were officially announcing our engagement he looked me straight in the eye and said "Mum. I am NOT being a page boy". So any plans I had to dress him up in a purple satin shirt and velvet trousers have now been dashed.

Meanwhile, all of our friends (mine and YKW's) have been thrilled. The standard reaction seems to be a shrill shriek, then a loud "Oh My God!!!" and then a sort of yelp. But despite the screaming and oh-my-godding, all are violently insistent that they knew all along and are not at all surprised. In fact, there seems to be a bit of competition between our oldest friends as to who knew first, who guessed it would be this week and what the tell tale signs were. Which, considering I was totally flabbergasted and not expecting it at all makes me wonder how they knew when I didn't.

The great thing about planning a wedding at YKW's age and at my 'stage in life' (that seems to be the polite way of saying divorced single mum) is that we have the authority to do things our way. So we are hopeful that the wedding will be exactly how we want it to be, and we can plan it with little hassle (or, as they put it, advice) from out parents. "We just want you to be happy" they tell us. "Whatever you want is absolutely fine by us". "We'll go along with whatever you decide".

First job is deciding whether or not to put an announcement in the JC. The parents say yes. We say, why bother? They say, because we've waited this long and we'd almost given up hope and he's nearly 40 and she's been single for years and couldn't you just let us enjoy the moment and do this one thing for us and........

4 Comments:

Blogger tafka PP said...

If they pay for it, let them have their fun!

5:08 pm  
Blogger MC Aryeh said...

Your mum's line is a classic...what is a page boy?

6:41 am  
Blogger ONITSUKA TIGER said...

Made since the launch of his ASICS GEL-KINSEI 2 campaign by Japan in 2007, marks Onitsuku Tiger trainer has a series of ASICS GEL-Nimbus 9 shoe sculptures created, each of which Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66 different aspects of Japanese culture.True to its tradition, Tansu carpentry, sculpture contains a series of boxes and drawers made of wood Onitsuka Tiger Ultimate 81 carved.

10:22 am  
Blogger Nancy said...

Congrats on the engagement! I loved your post. I could relate with it.

This is Nancy from Israeli Uncensored News

7:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home